SASPEN AGM 2019
ARINA PRINS CLINICAL NUTRITION AWARD 2018
Congratulations to the winners of this Award, as announced during the CCSSA/SASPEN Congress 2018! - Click here to view the winners.
CURRENT AFFAIRS AND CLINICAL RESEARCH 2018
Congratulations to the speakers selected to present under this theme at the CCSSA/SASPEN Congress 2018! - Click here to view the topics.
SASPEN is pleased to announce that the new SASPEN Constitution has been finalised. - Click here to view the new SASPEN Constitution.
SAPEN RESEARCH GRANTS
SASPEN invites all potential candidates to apply for the research grants to the total value of R 50 000. Two research grants to the value of R25 000 each will be awarded to the best 2 proposals. Please click here for more information.
2018 TOPICS AND PRESENTERS WERE:
- Probiotic use in the neonate. Data from a South African Tertiary facility – L Rossouw
- Four-oil intravenous lipid emulsion effect on plasma fatty acids, inflammatory markers and clinical outcomes in septic patients – V Donoghue
- Pitfalls in the preoperative ERAS fasting guidelines. Insights from a South African academic centre – V Kotze
The CCSSA award for best allied health oral presentation at the CCSSA / SASPEN congress was Cristen Flint
CCSSA/SASPEN 2019 PRESENTATIONS
- The Blocked Feeding Tube - Galya Chinnery & Anna-Lena du Toit
- The Patient can eat!(?)Appetite Post Critical Illness Anna-Lena du Toit
- ESPEN Guidelines - Prof Renee Blaauw
- TPN Case Study Lindie Mosehuus
- Diarrhoea and Vomitting - Lindie Mosehuus
- Glutamine - Olav Rooyackers
- Individualizing nutrition - Olav Rooyackers
- Invasion of the gut in critical illness - Dr Nadiya Ahmed
- Micronutrients - Prof Renee Blaauw
- Muscle Wasting - Olav Rooyackers
- Oral Nutrition Supplementation - Mr Alpha Rasekhala
- High Protein without concern? - Olav Rooyackers
- Update on Pediatric Parenteral - Shihaam Cader
- Volume-based vs Rate-based feeding
- Getting the best out of wound healing - Antoinette van Huyssteen
CCSSA/SASPEN 2018 PRESENTATIONS
- 2018 CCSSA SASPEN Congress Programme
- EARLY VS LATE - THE ONGOING DEBATE
- SPN - FOR WHOM
- PNALD - NOW WHAT?
- MEET THE EXPERT CASE STUDY - NUTRITION IN IBD
- PROTEIN IS IMPORTANT
- WHEN THE STEAKS ARE HIGH
- SPECIFIC AMINO ACIDS IN ICU - THERE'S EVIDENCE
- VITAMIN D IN THE SPOTLIGHT
- MICROBIOTA IN ICU
- PROBIOTICS IN ICU - WHO CAN BENEFIT?
- TOOLS TO MONITOR
- IS THERE A PLACE IN ICU FOR PERMISSIVE UNDERFEEDING AND WHERE?
- TOO MUCH OF A GOOD THING - AVOIDING OVERFEEDING
- REFEEDING SYNDROME IN THE ICU - IS IT RELEVANT?
- GUT RESPONSES TO STRESS
- FEEDING ON INOTROPES
- HOW NUTRIENTS ARE ABSORBED IN THE GUT
- STRATEGIES TO IMPROVE ENTERAL FEEDING TOLERANCE. IS IT WORTH IT?
CCSSA/SASPEN 2017 PRESENTATIONS
- IS THERE STILL A PLACE FOR SPECIFIC NUTRIENTS IN THE ICU?
- NUTRITIONAL THERAPY IN HEPATIC FAILURE
- NUTRITION IN THE YOUNG CRITICALLY ILL PATIENT
- NUTRITION IN THE CRITICALLY ILL ELDERLY (GERIATRIC) PATIENT
- HELP! I CAN BREATHE BUT ITS HARD TO SWALLOW: POST-EXTUBATIONDYSPHAGIA AND THE IMPLICATIONS FOR HEALTHCARE PROFESSIONALS
CCSSA/SASPEN 2015 PRESENTATIONS
- CONTROVERSIES IN FEEDING: WHAT HAVE WE LEARNED
- OPTIMAL FEEDING PRACTICES
- NEW DIAGNOSTIC CRITERIA FOR MALNUTRITION
- GLUTAMINE WHERE TO FROM HERE?
- IDEAL LIPID EMULSIONS FOR PEDIATRICS
- IV FAT - DOES IT REALLY MATTER?
- NEWER DIETARY APPROACHES IN THE MANAGEMENT OF SEIZURE DISORDERS
- NUTRITION FOR WOUND HEALING - LATEST EVIDENCE/RECOMMENDATIONS
SASPEN TALK MAY 2018
Welcome to the first edition of SASPEN Talk. Here you will find updates on important SASPEN news, exciting upcoming events, and important dates to remember. SASPEN Talk will also seek to bring you up to date with new developments and trends in the field of clinical nutrition, both in South Africa and elsewhere, and getting to know our SASPEN-community better. As this year marks the 30th anniversary of our Society we also invited Prof Demetre Labadarios to share a few words in our very first edition of SASPEN Talk. We sincerely hope you will enjoy reading this edition, and look forward to many more editions in future.
Click here to read the newsletter.
SASPEN TALK AUGUST 2018
It’s time for the second edition of the newsletter. The year is descending to a close quicker than anyone of us could imagine. There have been several activities this last quarter which we will highlight in this edition. It is inspiring to see how involved dietitians are becoming in uplifting the profession and to improve the perception of dietetics amongst our colleagues as well as the public. Well done to all of you! Let’s keep on fighting the good fight with integrity, knowledge and professionalism.
SASPEN TALK DECEMBER 2018
This is our final newsletter of a very busy and successful year for SASPEN. Here you’ll read about our 2018 SASPEN/CCSSA Congress, our newly accredited ESPEN LLL trainers, the Arina Prins Clinical Nutrition award winners, our first GLIM/malnutrition working group meeting, as well as interesting new publications and important reminders for 2019.